The Big Read in Gloucestershire
The Big Read is an invitational programme, designed to deliver all the benefits of our highly effective Readathon sponsored read, but without the need for children to fundraise.
We offer it to schools with a high proportion of disadvantaged pupils, or in areas of particular deprivation, recognising that the fundraising element of Readathon can be a barrier to participation for some children.
How it works
- We provide you with all the resources you need
- We agree a fixed two week period for The Big Read to run
- You set pupils a target number of minutes to read collectively in that time (based on stretching but achievable goals)
- Then pupils get reading!
- When pupils reach the collective reading target, this ‘unlocks’ free books for your school and book for children in hospital
- It is this ‘unlocking’ of rewards that provides the essential motivation to pupils